Thursday, March 25, 2010

Catching Up!

Well, obviously I have not been good about updating my blog because I've only posted once, and that was back in October for goodness sake! I guess I don't feel like I have many interesting things to talk about. I'm going to work on becoming more interesting I guess! :)

Well, I do have four things I can update everyone on.

For starters, I have just begun a masters program this semester. It's all online through a school out in California, Azusa Pacific University, and the whole program will take about 16 months. I'm working on an MA in TESOL. "What in the world is TESOL," you ask? Well, it stands for Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. It's a degree in the field of ESL (English as a Second Language) that will allow me to teach ESL/EFL (The "F" stands for "Foreign" in this case.), AND I will also be able to teach people how to teach ESL as well.

Each of my classes is five weeks long (one class at a time) with a one-week break in between the end of one class and the beginning of another. I just finished my first class the week before last. It was called Second Language Acquisition, and it was all about how people acquire a second language. But what was cool was that in order to learn how people acquire a second language, we had to learn about how people acquire their first language. I will spare you any drawn out details, but it was such an interesting class. If anyone would like to hear more, I would be happy to share. :)

The class I'm in now is called Intercultural Communication and Language Teaching. This is the first week, so I'm still trying to feel everything out about this topic. Though, from what I've already seen and read, I'm not sure if I'm going to be as into this class as I was with my first. BUT, I'm still so very excited to be a part of this program. It has been great so far!!

Next!! I have moved once again...Surprise, surprise! This time I actually moved out of Montgomery. I have moved to Opelika. Yes, I am still driving in for work every day, and yes I know that I am crazy!! I have a 1 bedroom apartment to myself in the same apartment complex as my love. We get to eat dinner together every night--it's fantastic!! :)

Changing the subject ... I'm now counting calories. I have put on several unwanted pounds since I returned from China. It really frustrates me too because I lost a ton of weight in China!!! Anyway, I've been counting calories for close to two weeks now, and I've lost about 8 pounds. I can't physically see a difference nor can I really feel a difference, but the scale tells me I've lost 8. Hopefully here soon I'll be able to fit into some of my other pairs of pants that have been sitting in my closet for months and months. I'm using www.myfitnesspal.com (Thanks to Andi!!) to keep track of what I'm eating and my exercising and everything, and it's super awesome! You should check it out--it makes calorie counting (which can at first seem a very daunting and time-consuming task) a breeze! They even have an iPod touch/iPhone app that you can download, so that you can keep track of your calories on the go!! :)

The last bit of news is really exciting!!! I may be making a job change sometime in the summer (possibly July)!! Faulkner is starting an ESL program, and I will hopefully be able to snag a spot as an adjunct instructor. There are some other things in the works in this regard, but I'll have to wait and see what happens before I post about it.

Well, we are entering the season of bridal showers and weddings! I have several friends getting married this summer, so my spring and summer is filling up fast!! Add to that trying to get and stay fit, a boyfriend I love to spend oodles of time with, a potential job change, a family vacay in Gatlinburg, and the Premier Designs National Rally, and you have a busy girl!!

Guess I should end this post before it gets too long. Hopefully it won't be too long before I update again!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment